FIREWORKS and bonfires can be plenty of fun for all the family to enjoy. CFRS recommends going to an organised firework display instead of holding one at home, however, if you do use fireworks or light a bonfire at home, we would ask residents to take on board our safety advice to ensure it is just their fireworks that go off with a bang:
- Keep fireworks in a closed box and always follow the instructions.
- Light them at arms length using a taper and stand well back.
- Never go back to a lit firework.
- Never put fireworks in your pocket or throw them.
- Don’t light bonfires in unsuitable weather, particularly in windy conditions.
- Don’t leave bonfires unattended.
- Build bonfires well clear of buildings, fences and hedge.
- Never use flammable liquids to start the fire, and never burn dangerous rubbish such as aerosols, paint, foam furniture, rubber tyres, batteries.
- Before you light the bonfire, check that children and animals are not hiding inside and are a safe distance away.
Like our fan page on Facebook: www.facebook.com/cambsfrs, follow us on Twitter @cambsfrs.
To find out if you are eligible for a free home fire safety check, call0800 917 99 94.